Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

I'll Make You A Mix




Nothing will make you feel more behind on music from the past year than playing a 31 hour long playlist and only hearing 10 songs you recognize.

Yesterday NPR released their "Songs We Love 2015" playlist. While I may be only a 1/4 of the way through 199 songs, it still is shocking that I hardly know any of the songs and have barely recognized many of the musicians. All that podcast listening over the years has lowered the supreme musical prowess I once had in my youth.

Taking on NPR's epic playlist is a great excuse to listen to a whole bunch of different genres (everything from classical to songs in different languages and all that fall in between), so I'll keep dabbling and discovering even more new songs from the last year.

Here are some fave takeaways from the playlist so far. Most of what I liked are somewhat folksy lady singers, so there is a definite musical pattern here. Oh, plus, the song that made me say, "be still my heart" - a great jam focused around a cartoon character from Hey Arnold. It is amazing simply because who could even imagine such a thing existing?



Kristin Diable - "Time Will Wait"





Caitlin Canty - "Get Up"





Alabama Shakes - "Don't Wanna Fight"





Phony Ppl -"helGa"






Lord Huron - "Fool For Love"





Nils Frahm - "Ode"






The Staves - "No Me, No You, No More"





In between all the new discoveries, NPR also gave a shout out to some of my own favorite songs of the year:



Father John Misty - "Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)"





Brandi Carlile - "The Eye"



Leon Bridges - Coming Home

(Read all about what I said about my obsession with this album here.)



Well, I know what I will be up to for the next couple days. I've still got a ton of NPR's playlist to check out. If you would like to do the same, you can get started right now.


Until next time.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...