Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2015

You Take The Good, You Take The Bad, You Take Them Both...




...and there you have...The Facts Of Life!

So far the best part about complaining to my cable provider after they took a week to fix my cable/internet, is that we got a big discount and a bunch of new channels.

On those extended channels, I was shocked to find that a show I hadn't seen in MANY years plays almost all day, every day. There is a continual marathon of Jo, Tootie, Blair, Natalie, and Mrs. Garrett, running through the episodes from their nine season run.

It has been a delight to check in with these gals from time to time over the last month. Without a doubt, my fondness for this show is because it reminds me of summer's at my grandma's house. Mornings at her place was all about Eggo waffles topped with homemade jam, The Price Is Right, and Facts Of Life reruns.

Otherwise the show is a somewhat typical coming of age sitcom. Although, some of the plotlines are VERY intense. Two episodes I watched recently included Tootie almost getting roped into becoming a "lady of the night" and Natalie catching her father having an affair. Oh, the humanity!

The extremely dated references are also a hoot. On an episode I saw last night, the girls couldn't wait to jet to a Gallagher show. Yeah, that guy who smashed watermelons. Because that was comedy in the '80s.

There are a few other things I know for sure:

1. Mrs. Garrett is the closet thing a human being has ever gotten to being a cartoon character. Her over the top reactions are what makes the show great.

2. My first born shall be named Boots St. Claire.

3. Alan Thicke co-wrote the theme song. This catchy jam is better than anything his son has done.

And just like the song says, "It takes a lot to get 'em right, When you're learning the facts of life."
Truer words have never been said - thanks Alan Thicke. 
Until next time. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...