Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Battle of The Oscar: Best Picture 1934

 Some movies simply come with a reputation. Classics like,  It Happened One Night, have been continually honored over generations and end up becoming known for certain scenes. Before running into this movie on my must watch list, I would have probably noted this film as simply, "That one where that girl hails a ride by showin' a little leg".

Well, I am naive no more and can officially say that I love the Best Picture Winner of 1934 and can confirm that the well known scene described above is memorable.

Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable are completely perfect and are the reason why your eyes won't leave the screen. I wish I would had seen this movie a month ago when making my list of best onscreen couples; they would sure make it.

Gable plays a journalist who finds Colbert on a bus to NYC. She is running away from her father, and he just happens to be in the right place at the right time. What continues, in what could be called the original road film,  is a story that is completely witty and entertaining for the entire duration.

The two stars make the movie, but the same goes for the director. Frank Capra, director/American film legend, has directed more memorable movies than I can even think to write so it seems only obvious that this could be great.

Simply embarrassing, maybe just to myself, that this was the first time I had seen this movie. This is the first time I can, with out a doubt, say: go out and rent this now! As the years on this Best Picture list progress the films are only getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...