Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Trailer Wars

Simply reading and hearing all the enthusiastic buzz behind the winner of The Palme d'Or (or best picture), The White Ribbon, at the Cannes Film Festival last year didn't make me want to see it. All of the details that people were praising about ( it's in black and white! oh, and it's foreign!) just screamed boring. I love all movies and give everything a chance, but it just wasn't hitting me.

I had also recently frustratingly struggled through trying to understand Michael Haneke's (the director) last film Cache', so it wasn't high on my list to watch another one of his films. Though, he's not as frustrating as another film director...

Anyways, my anti appeal for this film wouldn't last long though, as a night at my local independent movie theater began with the trailer for said film:





Watching this in a small, single screen theater, with twenty other film fanatics made it okay that after the trailer was over I took note that my mouth was actually left gaping open. One of the most eerie trailers in the last several years and it instantly turned me into one of those crazy critics that had I had been making fun of for several months.

After finally watching the movie last night, many months after seeing the trailer for the first time, I can say that the mysterious and creepy tone set in the trailer carries over into the movie itself. So, if this video intrigues you, I would say go out and rent this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...