Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Listing: 100 Things

[Grauman's Chinese Theater - stop on College Grad Road Trip 2009]

Ive seen this floating around the blog world a lot lately; 100 things all about movies. Writers are compiling a mega-list that detail all those personal stories surrounding watching and appreciating movies throughout their years.

Many of these lists I've perused are deeply fascinating, with each person giving their own spin. Of course I just had to throw my hat in the ring as well, since I always love a good list.

What follows is 100 Movie Facts about myself, and don't worry this took several weeks to pull together - I would be worried about my own health if I sat and wrote this just now.

Some think, how can you list a 100 facts? And I say, only 100? This list will be complete and there will still be more to say.

So, sit back, scroll threw a chunk, come back for more, and then create your own!



1) The last movie to blow me away (movie themed pun intended) was Take Shelter.

2) There is nothing more I'd rather do on a stormy day than sit and watch
a movie marathon (hopefully themed).

3) The movie I've seen the most times: The Scream Trilogy. All middle school sleepovers = Scream.

4) Kate Winslet is my favorite. Especially in, Sense & Sensibility, Little Children, and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind...

5) At the beach in Montauk, a house crumbles as a man's memory is in the final stages of being erased-that is my all time most beloved movie scene. Heartbreaking, lovely, and genius.

6) Since elementary school, I've had a special place in my heart for Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. The love will never fade...



7) Edward Scissorhands still makes me laugh and cry.

8) Juliette Binoche is flat out gorgeous - I don't think that about many ladies, but she is simply mesmerizing, I could watch her in anything.

9) Dan In Real Life is criminally underrated.

10) In a dream world Thomas Newman would be the composer of my life: his scores literally make my day feel better. I could listen to this all day:





11)  Streep is a straight up baller.



12) "Donna and The Dynamos" will one day inspire showstopping Halloween costumes.

13) There is nothing better, and equally frustrating than an ambiguous ending.

14) Going to the movie theater is always an event that lifts my spirits.

15) After seeing the glorious Titanic 3D in the theater it pains me to imagine watching it on a smaller screen ever again, but it pains me even more with the thought that I would no longer stop to watch the "Irish Party In Third Class" scene every time it plays on cable. "So you want to go to a real Party?" Always Leo, always.

16) Jurassic Park is my first memory of going to the movie theater - I was in 1st grade, and it was when our legendary Mt Baker theater still played first run movies as well as plays/musicals/concerts.

17) Movies that hold a special place in my heart because I remember seeing them at our local Drive-In as a kid: Hocus Pocus, Snow White, Contact, The Lost World, Gone In 60 Seconds, Dinosaurs, American Pie:2 and Rush Hour:2 (what a great double feature).

18) Merryweather, the blue rubenesque fairy from Sleepy Beauty, brings me much amusement. She zaps cookies out of thin air with her wand for crying out loud!

19) The opening and ending of Beauty and The Beast turns me into an emotional woman.

20) The music in a movie can make a bad movie good and vice versa.

21) My love for James Dean started with my Grandma.



22) Grandma is a huge classic film fan - we have plans to attend the TCM festival in LA together. Next year? Or they have a cruise!

23) I have a ridiculous crush on Jason Schwartzman - and every flick he has been in (... and his music...and TV shows).

24) At some point (soon!) I will have officially seen every movie ever to win the Best Picture. Already thinking about the next movie mission ahead...

25) I adore the campy/spooky Tim Burton, but he needs to bring back his original material.

26) Danny Elfman is a musical genius.



I Can't Live Without The Soundtrack From...  


27) About A Boy



28) Hairspray

29) Into The Wild 

30) Harold and Maude

31) Dan In Real Life

32) Once 

33) That Thing You Do 



34) Stand By Me must be watched every summer.



35) Quotes from Mean Girls work for everything. Boo, you whore!

36) Who isn't obsessed with all the colors that make up a Wes Anderson movie?

37) Ultimate old-Hollywood stars: Greer Garson and Clark Gable.

38) Seeing The Graduate for the first time in High School changed the way I watched movies - passive enjoyment to diligent and critical appreciator.

39)  I still wish John Cusack was in everything.



Top 5 Reasons I Cherish High Fidelity:  



40) Cusack (goes without saying)

41) Kathleen Turner Overdrive/ Final performance scene.

42) The guy owns a friggin' record store!

43) All the lists.

44) Quotables: "To me, making a tape is like writing a letter. There's a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You've got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention , and then you've got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and you can't have white music and black music together, unless the white music sounds like black music, and you can't have two tracks by the same artist side by side, unless you've done the whole thing in pairs and...oh, there are loads of rules."



45) The single shot car chase scene in Raising Arizona was first shown to me when I was a kid. My dad thought it was hilarious, and so do I.

46) The Coen Brothers are the epitome of American films at their best.

47) It's not okay that an average person could only count with a couple fingers the female directors they know by name.

48) Always an appreciator of the vivid visual feast of a Sophia Coppola movie.

49) Little Miss Sunshine is in the running for best entire cast of a movie in the last decade.

50) Kurt Cobain's half brother was the clerk at the video store by my house while I was growing up.

51) Bette Davis is a staple in my family - Whatever Happened To Baby Jane was often performed live during my childhood.

52) Sweeping epics play to the true romantic that I am.

53) I am, basically, Bridget Jones.

54) The only midnight showing of a  movie I have gone to was for Sex & The City. Judgements welcome-we had a blast.

55) "Top That!"   - Not Halloween without Teen Witch.

56) The Station Agent - Watch it, adore it.

57) It always makes me happy to see Patricia Clarkson pop up in a movie.

58) The same goes for Stanley Tucci. Love that guy.

59) I walked into a party once where thirty out of their minds people were sitting around a TV chanting "TUCCI! TUCCI!" - Obviously, Shall We Dance was on, and this sight made my life.

60) Ewan McGregor is a real triple threat (singer, accent, dreamy)... and a fantastic actor - how can he lose?



61) It is impossible to choose between Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, and The Breakfast Club.

62) I've been writing movie reviews since middle school - somehow my friend and I convinced our teacher that movie reviews demonstrated high quality writing, and we got credit in school for them. We definitely submitted one about Ready To Rumble. I have always had high brow taste.

63) Working for a magazine is the only job I have ever wanted - after seeing Almost Famous the desire grew to exorbitant heights.

64) For some reason depressing movies tend to be some of the best - cue The Hours. It is beautiful and horribly sad, and I can't stop watching it!

65) I love You Can Count On Me, and continue to watch everything that Laura Linney makes.

66) It is not a Winona Ryder movie unless her character is the narrator.

67) Murials Wedding gets funnier and sadder (oh, the mom!) every time I watch it, which is often. ABBA!



Shout outs:

68) Toni Collette!

69) Emma Thompson!



70) I have a lamp shade that I covered with movie ticket stubs.

71) I'm glad that I was too young too see American Beauty when it came out, so all that hype didn't ruin it for me.

72) It has been tested, often, that I can name a movie that is playing on TV, even if I have never actually seen it before. People think I'm crazy.

73) Although they are terrible/unfunny movies...the pure cuddliness of Theodore could lead me to watch parts of those live action Alvin & The Chipmunks movies (even Chipwrecked). I do not exaggerate when I say I would sit through that mess just to see something like this happen-I would laugh till my stomach hurt, and it would be worth it.


I can't live without the score from...

74) Amelie

75) The Village




76) Chocolat

77) Edward Scissorhands

78) Legends Of The Fall



79) Little Women

80) Beginners



81) The Hours



82) Leo Dicap has evolved into one of the greatest actors of today, and it all started with some really good hair. 90's Leo hair, just think about how good that was.

83) Catherine Zeta Jones makes me physically ill. Just typing her name...

84) Not always a Woody Allen fan, The Purple Rose Of Cairo, Manhattan, as well as Hannah and Her Sisters have become classics in my eye.

85) Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine are the classiest of broads.

86)  On a daily basis I get overwhelmed with all the things I want to read about movies/pop culture and still catch up on current world events. There is never enough time!

87) Two Words: Jake Ryan.

88) Fantastic soundtracks can be paired with a bad movie - case in point Elizabethtown.

89) Mark Ruffalo - talented + extra dreamy. Always a good thing.



90) Great movies leave me thinking for days.

91) Hollywood love started before I was born - I was nearly named Natalie or Audrey, after Wood or Hepburn.

92) I practically live for The Oscars, but I still think they get it wrong a lot.

93) Why are people still trying to make Blake Lively happen?

94) My DVD collection is somewhat classy, but my personal VHS collection from Middle School is where it's at - those gems range from American Beauty (two tapes!) to Fools Rush In to my prized copy of How To Make An American Quilt.

95) When I was fourteen I had a poster of Hugh Grant on my wall - seriously, it was a gift.

96) For lack of better words, RDJ is hot and funny - enough said.



97) When the trailers for Step Brothers came out I was adamantly against it - now the end (at the "F'ing Catalina Wine Mixer!") is one of my top movie scenes of all time. Never not funny. Andrea Bocelli for the win!

98) Anything featuring William H. Macy will be watched no questions asked.

99) "Well, the little guy was kinda funny-lookin'."

100) If there were no limits to wishes I would want to have a real WALL-E.





That's all folks. I feel it adequately sums up my random taste in movies; I go classy and trashy.

If you had 100 things to say about movies, what would that list look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...