Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Actual Awards Show Excitement

It would seem that someone was paying me to watch awards shows, because of how much time in my life is absorbed by them. Beginning as a ritual with my mom at a young age and viewing simply continued on as a good excuse to have a gathering with folks who also get far to into all the facets of entertainment.

The Oscars is a definite must for everyone, but for the first time (I think ever) I'm hugely jazzed about the Emmys! Times are changing from the opinions in the past where it was believed that television was the "lesser" medium compared to movies; to find the most high quality acting and writing look no further than that little box (or rather that screen on your wall or computer) in your living room.

Also, it obviously helps that this is the first year where many, many, of the shows that I think actually deserve recognition are nominated for awards.  Are the Emmy voters being more diverse with which shows they choose to honor, or is my television taste turning into what old white men prefer...?

After long hours of making truly life or death decisions, below is a list of those individuals and shows that I think are going to pull it out this year and walk away winners. I'll also list those I wish would win (maybe they will be surprise winners!):



Best Actor In A Comedy Series:
Who Will Win: Jim Parson (The Big Bang Theory)
Dream Winner: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)

Do I watch the Big Bang Theory? No. Although, everyone is always talking about how funny this guys is so he will more than likely win. Baldwin has won several times before, but personally my love for 30 Rock runs deep and Baldwin's deadpan delivery on that show kills me every time.


Best Actress In A Comedy Series:
Who Will Win: Toni Collette (United States Of Tara)
Dream Winner: Toni Collette (United States Of Tara)

As a surprise Collette won this last year, and she deserves it again. United States of Tara fits weirdly into any category, because it is not laugh out loud funny like other nominees. Though as much as I love Tina Fey, no other actress stands a chance against Collette, who at times plays up to five different characters (or personalities, for those who are not familiar with the premise) in an episode. It's astonishing, mad props Toni. More people should be watching this!







Best Actor In A Drama Series:
Who Will Win: Michael C Hall (Dexter)
Dream Winner: Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)

This is a tough call for who will win. Breaking Bad is a hot show and Brian Cranston won last year. It was also the last season of Lost, where Matthew Fox was heavily featured in the emotional final episode. However, Michael C Hall steals every scene in Dexter, so I'm sticking with my choice for the winner. More importantly though is I honestly hope that Chandler tricks everyone and wins!







Best Actress In A Drama Series:
Who Will Win: Juliana Margulies (The Good Wife)
Dream Winner: Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)

What even is The Good Wife? All I know is Margulies is supposed to be enchanting (I don't know, for lack of a better word). This category, after looking at the other nominees, should obviously go to Britton. I was late in the game for Friday Night Lights, but in the last couple months have become a supporting maniac, even pestering everyone I know to watch. Britton (and Chandler) make you want to keep watching this show. Here are some reasons you should too.

Comedy Series:
Who Will Win: Glee
Dream Winner: Glee

It's really a toss up between Glee and Modern Family. If the Emmys are really going for the edginess this year, which I think they are, Glee will take it. How can you not give an award to kids with this much talent?







Drama Series
Who Will Win: Breaking Bad
Dream Winner: Dexter

I don't watch Breaking Bad, but have been told I should. This last season of Dexter was outstanding, with the help of crazy, awesome, terrifying John Lithgow (who won yesterday at the Creative Arts Emmy's, in the Guest Star in a Drama category). In a final obsessive mention of Friday Night Lights, here is hoping the whole show gets nominated and wins this next year after its final season!

Supporting Actor In A Comedy
Who Will Win: Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)
Dream Winner: Chris Colfer (Glee)

Stonestreet and Ty Burrell (who is also nominated), are my favorite people on Modern Family, but I would probably cry if Colfer won. I'm being honest, but kind of sad, right?

Supporting Actress In A Comedy
Who Will Win: Jane Lynch (Glee)
Dream Winner: Jane Lynch or Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)

Lynch has been enjoyable since appearing in all of her small roles in hilarious movies. Although, she is not my favorite on the show, I like it when new TV shows win awards. Krakowski is also a scene stealer on 30 Rock, and makes me laugh all the time.

Supporting Actor In  A Drama
Who Will Win: Michael Emerson (Lost)
Dream Winner: Taylor Kitch (Friday Night Lights)

Okay I'll stop with the FNL references, but this category is kind of boring. Kitch is good, I'm just saying. Emerson was one of the only continual intriguing characters on Lost and should win this hands down.

Supporting Actress In A Drama
Who Will Win: Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
Dream Winner: Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men) 

This is a really educated guess. Baranski, just because she is in every movie ever made, and because I assume someone else on The Good Wife will probably win something. Moss continues to be one of the best characters on Mad Men, so she will win something one of these days. Possibly next year, after, what I think, is the best season of the show (currently airing now).  

Thats it! The Emmys are on tomorrow night with host Jimmy Fallon, which I am also excited about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...